1 Nephi 1:20 ---We Are Not Ashamed to Own Our Lord
- The Jews were angry with Lehi
- as they were of the prophets of old whom they had slain, cast out and stoned
- They plotted to kill Lehi
- The Lord shows tender mercies to the faithful even unto the power of deliverance.
The Lord will cause that His work go forth . He blesses the faithful.
- Persecution of prophets-cast out
- Jer. 13:11 but they would not hear.
- Hel 13:22-39 (25)
- Joseph Smith and early Saints
- Elijah 1 Kings 19:10 Even only I am left and they seek my life to take it away.
- Elias Rom 1:3 I am left alone and they seek my life.
- Zechariah 2 Ch 24 They conspired against him and stoned him.
- Isa 30:10 this is a rebellious people
- Matt. 5 Christ to his apostles Rejoice...for so persecuted the prophets before you.
- Acts 7:52 Which of the prophets have not your father's persecuted?
- Heb. 11:37 Others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings...bonds, imprisonment, stoned, slain.
- Jaredites- Murdered all the prophets of the Lord who came to them. Alma 37:30 and Ether 8:25
1 Ths. 2:15 Killed the Lord Jesus and their own prophets.
Gen 32 Jacob prayed for tender mercies.
Alma 34:38 Take upon you the name of Christ and humble yourselves...live in thanksgiving daily,for the many mercies which he doth bestow upon you.
D&C 46:15...as the Lord will, suiting his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men.
Because of their faith
To make them mighty even unto deliverance
Faith brings tender mercies the greatest being deliverance (salvation)
Israelites..Ex 3:8 I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians
the scriptures and our lives are packed with stories of the faithful who have been blessed. These blessings are “tender mercies” these stories of true experiences can fill volumes of writings.
He was persecuted and killed and died for us. He is the deliverer. We pray in His name. He delivers us from our trials and specifically he delivers us from our own sins so that we can receive exaltation to live with Him forever.
If we are faithful then we will be blessed. If we are persecuted for our faith then we can know we are following Christ's path. Tender Mercies are given to me daily and to all the faithful because of their faith.
Eliza R Snow said “I will go forward, I will smile at the rage of the tempest and I will ride fearlessly and triumphantly across the boisterous ocean of circumstance...and the testimony of Jesus will light up a lamp that will guide my vision through the portals of immortality.
What can I do to be more faithful? Study all scriptures and manuals and good books. Serve ==Have more charity and love in my heart. Fast and pray.
4/15 Robert D. Hales
the first is freedom to believe. No one should be criticized, persecuted, or attacked by individuals, or governments either, for what he or she believes about god. It is very personal and very important. An early declaration of our beliefs regarding religious liberty states.
“No government can exist in peace, except such laws are framed and ehld inviolate as will secure to each individual the free exercise of conscience.
The civil magistrate should restrain crime, but never control conscience or suppress the freedom of the soul.
105 Master, the Tempest Is Raging
30 Come, Come Ye Saints
57 WE are Not Ashamed To Own Our Lord