Monday, August 1, 2016

Humility -1 Nephi 18:4


1 Nephi 18:4

Theme- Humility

 4 And it came to pass that after I had finished the ship, according to the word of the Lord, my brethren beheld that it was good, and that the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine; wherefore, they did humble themselves again before the Lord.

Humility, Humble



Why
The rebellious brothers had humbled themselves before the Lord because they had participated in a revelatory experience as they witnessed that Nephi received direction from the Lord to build this ship in a way they had never ever heard or seen before. They were pleased with the end result and recognized that the Lord had been their teacher and guide and they understood and became submissive and teachable and obedient to the teachings given them of the Lord through their younger brother, Nephi.

Pattern
Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall  humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Matt.18:4
 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

James 4:10
 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

D&C 112:10
 10 Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.

D&C 136:32-33
32 Let him that is  ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God, that his eyes may be opened that he may see, and his ears opened that he may hear;
 33 For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly.

Ether 12:27
 “And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; … for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”

Christ
It was the Lord who directed the building of the ship and the brothers of Nephi did humble themselves before Him.
Jesus was humble and followed the teachings and will of his Father in Heaven even to the point of sacrificing his own life and atoning for the sins of the world. He said I the Lord's prayer, 
Matt.6:10
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Conference
2016 Snow
Be Thou Humble
The Savior taught His followers that they must humble themselves as a little child in order to enter into the kingdom of heaven.6 As we raise our own children, we need to help them remain humble as they mature into adulthood. We do not do this by breaking their spirit through unkindness or by being too harsh in our discipline. While nurturing their self-confidence and self-esteem, we need to teach them the qualities of selflessness, kindness, obedience, lack of pride, civility, and unpretentiousness. We need them to learn to take joy in the successes of siblings and friends. President Howard W. Hunter taught that “our genuine concern should be for the success of others.”7 If not, our children can become obsessed with self-promotion and outdoing others, jealousy, and resentment for the triumphs of peers. I’m grateful for a mother who, when seeing I was becoming too full of myself as a boy, would say, “Son, a little bit of humility right now would go a long way.”
But humility is not something reserved to be taught only to children. We must all strive to become more humble. Humility is essential to gain the blessings of the gospel. Humility enables us to have broken hearts when we sin or make mistakes and makes it possible for us to repent. Humility enables us to be better parents, sons and daughters, husbands and wives, neighbors and friends.
On the other hand, unnecessary pride can dissolve family relationships, break up marriages, and destroy friendships.
Apply
Applying humility to our lives is difficult because when we think we are humble then we are probably not and when we think we are not then perhaps we really are,
Give the Lord credit where credit is due. That would be for everything good that comes to us. Being teachable and eager to learn good things.
Think of others instead of ourselves. Serve with unselfishness. Forget yourself and focus on what you can do for others. If you do that you will have joy in your service and you will be effective.
Help children to think about how others feel and what their needs are instead of being all wrapped up in themselves. Teach them to follow the Lord. To pray and to follow Him.
A humble person is a strong person who knows the source of their power comes from God.
Hymn
130-Be Thous Humble
98-I Need Thee Every Hour
2 Nephi 4:34-35
34 O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.
 35 Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of myerighteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.
171-With Humble Heart
Children

78- I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment