Friday, February 13, 2015

Book of Mormon - Verse By Verse-1 Nephi 1:1


Verse by verse. “feasting one bite at a time”
Book of Mormon Commentary- FHE Lesson Guide or Personal Study Guide.
by Barbara J. Matson

1 Nephi 1:1

What
1-Nephi was born of goodly parents
2-Taught in the learning of his father
3-Saw many afflictions
4-favored of the Lord
5-had great knowledge of God and his goodness
5-He makes a record of his life

Why
Nephi had a mission to share the teachings he learned and of the experiences he and his family had. He wrote them so that the Lord could bring them forth in our day. He was a prophet of that time.

Pattern
1-Born of goodly parents
He had a right to the priesthood by lineage D&C 113:8
Prov. 22:1- A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches and loving favor rather than silver or gold.
Parents- His family had the plates of brass. They were righteous.
2-He was taught the language and the tools of life and the nurture and admonition of God as Enos:1
Mosiah also had his sons taught so they would become men of understanding
Nephi was an educated man especially in the ways of God.
3-Nephi saw many afflictions
He saw adversity, afflictions, anguish, chastening, distress, oppression, persecution, perseverance, sorrow, suffering, tribulations, trouble.
Ps. 34-19-20 Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the Lord delivereth him out of all … they that hate the righteous shall be desolate... v-22 The Lord redeemeth the soul of his servants; and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.”
4- Favored of the Lord
1 Ne. 3:6-Nephi was favored because he did not murmur and was righteous (sustaining church leaders).
D&C 9:6- Do not murmur my son.
D&C 75:7 I the Lord chasten him for the murmurings of his heart.
1 Ne 17:35 He that is righteous is favored of God.
Heb.3:17 Obey them that rule over you.
5-Had great knowledge of God. (of the goodness and the mysteries of God)
Ps. 52:1 The goodness of God endureth continually
Romans 2:4...The goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance.
2Ne. 4...The great goodness of the Lord in showing me his great and marvelous works.
2 Ne. 9:10 O how great the goodness of our God who prepareth a way for our escape
Mos. 5:3...through the infinite goodness of God and the manifestations of His Spirit, have great views of that which is to come...

6-Nephi makes a record
Ex 24:4 Moses wrote all the words of the Lord.
1 Chr. 16:4 David appointed minister before the ark of the Lord and to RECORD and thank and praise the Lord.
Alma37:2 Kept a record
3 Ne. 23:13 Jesus commanded that it be written.

Christ
Nephi was a type of Christ who was also
1- born of goodly parents.
2-taught in the learning of His Father
3-Suffered many afflictions
4-Favored son
5-Knowledge of God
6-commanded record to be kept.
The Lord favoured Nephi because he did not murmur. He blessed Nephi with a great knowledge of His goodness and of the mysteries of God.
Mos. 5:3 manifestations
Records were kept so we could know of Christ and His mission to atone for our sins and the way to receive them.
Apply
1-I too was born of goodly parents, who brought the gospel to me and the priesthood blessings.
2-I too received an education so that I could understand the ways of God and be able to serve him (though not as severe as Nephi). That have and do teach me every day. I love that I know
3- If I am faithful “I will not be left desolate” That everything will turn out OK in the end.
4- Favoured of the Lord? I know that I am favoured by receiving the gospel in it's fullness and feeling his profound love. I have so many blessings! I must not murmur.
5-I have witnessed the great goodness of God in my life. I feel His atonement daily. I feel His spirit in the temple richly. I see many miracles take place in our lives.
6-I too, need to keep a record by journaling. I will go back to journaling with emphasis on the tender mercies.! Our lives are kind of like a mystery to see just how it will all play out. It is my faith in God that comforts me and gives me so much hope!

Conference
April 14 WR Walker
Each of us will be greatly blessed if we know the stories of faith and sacrifice that led our forefathers to join the Lord's church”

Hymn-
I Am A Child Of God




No comments:

Post a Comment