Friday, October 21, 2016

Mercy- 1 Nephi 20:9

1 Nephi 20:9
Mercy
What
 9 Nevertheless, for my aname’s sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain from thee, that I cut thee not off.
I will not totally destroy you.

Why
I, the Lord have a reputation to uphold of being merciful, for my glory and honor , I am in the business of saving people, not destroying them. I have atoned for your sins, I do not want to loose you. You have been bad, but I will control or defer my anger against you.

Pattern
1 Sam. 12:22
22  For the Lord will not forsake his people for his great name’s sake: because it hath pleased the Lord to make you his people.
Ps. 23:3
3  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousnessfor his name’s sake.
1 Jn. 2:12
12  I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven youfor his name’s sake.
Acts 4:12
12  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other nameunder heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Christ
He is Jesus Christ, the Savior and Redeemer His mission is to save us from our sins. He is a God of Mercy and love.

Conference
4/95 Thomas s. Monson (1st couns. 1st presidency)
Mercy-the Divine Gift
The quality of mercy is not strain’d,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes: …
It is an attribute to God himself.2
Two brilliant and faith-filled counselors to President David O. McKay spoke to us everlasting counsel concerning the greatest act of mercy ever known to man. President Stephen L Richards said: “The Savior himself declared that he came to fulfill the law, not to do away with it, but with the law he brought the principle of mercy to temper its enforcement, and to bring hope and encouragement to [the] offenders for forgiveness through [mercy and] repentance.”3
President J. Reuben Clark, Jr., testified: “You know, I believe that the Lord will help us. I believe if we go to him, he will give us wisdom, if we are living righteously. I believe he will answer our prayers. I believe that our Heavenly Father wants to save every one of his children. I do not think he intends to shut any of us off because of some slight transgression, some slight failure to observe some rule or regulation. There are the great elementals that we must observe, but he is not going to be captious about the lesser things.
I believe that his juridical concept of his dealings with his children could be expressed in this way: I believe that in his justice and mercy, he will give us the maximum reward for our acts, give us all that he can give, and in the reverse, I believe that he will impose upon us the minimum penalty which it is possible for him to impose.”4
I often think that one of the most beautiful things in the Christ’s life was his words on the cross, when, suffering under the agony of a death that is said to have been the most painful that the ancients could devise, death on the cross, after he had been unjustly, illegally, contrary to all the rules of mercy, condemned and then crucified, when he had been nailed to the cross and was about to give up his life, he said to his Father in heaven, as those who were within hearing testify: ‘… Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do’ (Luke 23:34).”5
In the Book of Mormon, Alma describes beautifully the foregoing with his words: “The plan of mercy could not be brought about except an atonement should be made; therefore God himself atoneth for the sins of the world, to bring about the plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice, that God might be a perfect, just God, and a merciful God also.”6
From the springboard of such knowledge we ask ourselves, Why, then, do we see on every side those instances where people decline to forgive one another and show forth the cleansing act of mercy and forgiveness? What blocks the way for such healing balm to cleanse human wounds? Is it stubbornness? Could it be pride? Maybe hatred has yet to melt and disappear.“Blame keeps wounds open. Only forgiveness heals!”7
The Prophet Joseph urged, “Be merciful and you shall find mercy. Seek to help save souls, not to destroy them: for verily you know, that ‘there is more joy in heaven, over one sinner that repents, than there is over ninety and nine just persons [who] need no repentance.’”11
I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died. …
I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love, and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.14
This same Jesus, “seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:
And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, …
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.”15
Apply-
Be merciful to others. Seek to help save souls, not destroy them and have faith that others will receive mercy, also have faith that we will receive mercy if we will but accept the atonement of Jesus Christ. For this purpose, He suffered and died for us.
Hymns-
I Stand All Amazed
Children
Jesus Said Love Everyone







No comments:

Post a Comment