Tuesday, September 6, 2016

New Life-Go Forth 1 Nephi 18:23

1 Nephi 18:23
New Life -Go Forth

What
 23 And it came to pass that after we had sailed for the space of many days we did arrive at the  promised land; and we went forth upon the land, and did pitch our tents; and we did call it the promised land.
1-It took many days or a long time on the ship to get to the promised land.
2-They set up their tents and settled in.
3-They called it the Promised Land.

Why
Their journey was over and they reached their destination, They were ready to begin their new lives in their new land. They all must have been excited to be on solid ground again and to see the new home they had been given. Their faith was rewarded.

Pattern
Genesis 12:1
1  Now the Lord had said unto AbramGet thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
Genesis 12:7
7  And the Lord appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the Lord, who appeared unto him.
Genesis 13
14 ¶And the Lord said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:
 15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.
 16 And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered.
 17 Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee.
 18 Then Abram removed his tent, and came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre, which is in Hebron, and built there an altar unto the Lord.

Genesis 26 (to Isaac)
 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;



Exodus 32 (to Moses)
 13 Remember a Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou  swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will c multiply your  seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever.

Chronicles 16 (to David)
18 Saying, Unto thee will I give the  land of Canaan, the lot of your inheritance;



Christ
2 Nephi 3:2
2  And may the Lord consecrate also unto thee this land, which is a most precious land, for thine inheritance and the inheritance of thy seed with thy brethren, for thy security forever, if it so be that ye shall keep the commandments of the Holy One of Israel.

The earth is the Lord's and He has power to give it. He gives special portions of it to those who keep His commandments.


Conference 10/02 Dallin H. Oaks
I'll go Where You Want Me To Go
The full measure of [our] conversion to men and women of God happens best through our labors in His vineyard.
My text comes from a hymn that has inspired faithful servants of the Lord for many generations:
It may not be on the mountain height
Or over the stormy sea,
It may not be at the battle’s front
My Lord will have need of me.
But if, by a still, small voice he calls
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
I’ll go where you want me to go.
Penned by a poetess who was not a Latter-day Saint, these words express the commitment of the faithful children of God in all ages.
Abraham, who led Isaac on that heartbreaking journey to Mount Moriah, was faithfully going where the Lord wanted him to go (see Gen. 22). So was David when he stepped out before the hosts of Israel to answer the challenge of the giant Goliath (see 1 Sam. 17). Esther, inspired to save her people, walked a life-threatening path to challenge the king in his inner court (see Esth. 4–5). “I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord” was the motivation for Lehi to leave Jerusalem (see 1 Ne. 2) and for his son Nephi to return for the precious records (see 1 Ne. 3). Hundreds of other scriptural examples can be cited.
...Still, there is room for improvement in the commitment of some. When I ask stake presidents for suggestions on subjects I should treat at stake conferences, I often hear about members who refuse Church callings or accept callings and fail to fulfill their responsibilities. Some are not committed and faithful. It has always been so. But this is not without consequence.
The Savior spoke of the contrast between the faithful and the unfaithful in three great parables recorded in the 25th chapter of Matthew. Half of the invited guests were excluded from the wedding feast because they were unprepared when the bridegroom came (see Matt. 25:1–13). The unprofitable servants who failed to employ the talents they were given by the Master were not allowed to enter into the joy of the Lord (see Matt. 25:14–30). And when the Lord came in His glory, He separated the sheep, who had served Him and their fellowmen, from the goats, who had not. Only those who had “done it unto one of the least of these my brethren” (Matt. 25:40) were set on His right hand to inherit the kingdom prepared from the foundation of the world (see Matt. 25:31–46).
My brothers and sisters, if you are delinquent in commitment, please consider who it is you are refusing or neglecting to serve when you decline a calling or when you accept, promise, and fail to fulfill. I pray that each of us will follow this inspired declaration:
Such is the miracle of service. As the poetess wrote:
But if, by a still, small voice he calls
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
I’ll go where you want me to go.
I testify of Jesus Christ, who beckons us to His path and His service, and pray that we will have the faith and commitment to follow and the power to be what He wants us to be, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Apply
Nephi and his family had a new life in a new place where they could start all over again and to be free to live the gospel .
Just as Nephi and his followers went where they were called to go and did all they could to spread the gospel so should we go where we are called and “set up our tents” In other words to act in the office of our callings and not be wishing we were somewhere else being served or serving in a more visible place. Magnify your calling whatever it is and “bloom where you are planted”. Put your whole heart into it and go forward.


Hymns
270-I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go

D&C 4: 2 Therefore, O ye that embark in the a service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.
1 Nephi 3:7
 7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I  will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no bcommandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.


Children

164-I will Follow God's Plan For Me

No comments:

Post a Comment