Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Keep A Journal- 1 Nephi 19:5

1 Nephi 19:5
Keep A Journal
What
 5 And an account of my making these plates shall be given hereafter; and then, behold, I proceed according to that which I have spoken; and this I do that the more sacred things may be kept for the knowledge of my people.

1- Nephi said he would proceed or do what he said he would do.

Why
2-His reason is to preserve the knowledge of the sacred things so that his people and we could have it in many years to come after Nephi's life was over.

He was commanded to do it and he desired to keep the commandments and could see the future benefits of his writings and the writings that would come after his on the very plates that he created and by his direction.
Pattern
This wasn't the first time that Nephi said that he would do what he had been commanded to do.
7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

Obedience-from The Guide to the Scriptures

OBEDIENCE, OBEDIENT, OBEY

In a spiritual sense, obedience is doing God’s will.
Sacred / Holy-Guide to the Scriptures
Spiritual and moral perfection. Holiness indicates purity of a person’s heart and intent.
Trifle not with sacred things:D&C 6:12;
  • You cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me:D&C 9:9;
  • Ye shall bind yourselves to act in all holiness:D&C 43:9;

Christ
the purpose of writing the sacred things was to testify of Christ. It was written because he commanded them to be written.

Every soul who obeys my voice shall see my face and know that I am:D&C 93:1;
We will prove them to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord shall command:Abr. 3:25;



Conference 10/07 Henry B. Eyring
O Remember, Remember
When our children were very small, I started to write down a few things about what happened every day. Let me tell you how that got started. I came home late from a Church assignment. It was after dark. My father-in-law, who lived near us, surprised me as I walked toward the front door of my house. He was carrying a load of pipes over his shoulder, walking very fast and dressed in his work clothes. I knew that he had been building a system to pump water from a stream below us up to our property.
He smiled, spoke softly, and then rushed past me into the darkness to go on with his work. I took a few steps toward the house, thinking of what he was doing for us, and just as I got to the door, I heard in my mind—not in my own voice—these words: “I’m not giving you these experiences for yourself. Write them down.”
I went inside. I didn’t go to bed. Although I was tired, I took out some paper and began to write. And as I did, I understood the message I had heard in my mind. I was supposed to record for my children to read, someday in the future, how I had seen the hand of God blessing our family. Grandpa didn’t have to do what he was doing for us. He could have had someone else do it or not have done it at all. But he was serving us, his family, in the way covenant disciples of Jesus Christ always do. I knew that was true. And so I wrote it down, so that my children could have the memory someday when they would need it.
I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.
More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened.
Tonight, and tomorrow night, you might pray and ponder, asking the questions: Did God send a message that was just for me? Did I see His hand in my life or the lives of my children? I will do that. And then I will find a way to preserve that memory for the day that I, and those that I love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need Him. I testify that He loves us and blesses us, more than most of us have yet recognized. I know that is true, and it brings me joy to remember Him. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

    From sunday School manual-//www.lds.org/youth/learn/ss/marriage-and-family/journal?lang=eng
  • How will keeping a personal journal bless me and my family?
  • The Lord and His prophets have emphasized the importance of keeping records. Writing in a personal journal gives us an opportunity to reflect on our lives and recognize the many blessings God has given us. Our journals can also be a source of inspiration and strength to future generations of our families.

  • What experiences have taught you the importance of keeping a journal? Are there any entries in your journal or a journal of an ancestor that could be inspiring to the youth?
  • How will the youth be blessed by keeping a personal journal? What reasons might they have for not writing in a journal? How can you help them see the spiritual reasons for record keeping?

1 Nephi 1:1–3Alma 37:8–9Moses 6:5, 45–46(Examples of record keeping in the scriptures)
1 Nephi 6:3–6 (What to include in a personal record)
3 Nephi 23:6–13 (The Savior chastises the Nephites for the incompleteness of their records)
Henry B. Eyring, “O Remember, Remember,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2007, 66–69; see also the video O Remember, Remember”
Spencer W. Kimball, “The Angels May Quote from It,”New Era, Feb. 2003, 32–35
Here is a quote from this wonderful article Your story should be written now while it is fresh and while the true details are available.
A journal is the literature of superiority. Each individual can become superior in his own humble life.
What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?
Some of what you write may be humdrum dates and places, but there will also be rich passages that will be quoted by your posterity.
Get a notebook, a journal that will last through all time, and maybe the angels may quote from it for eternity. Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events


Apply- You may click on any of these blue links and it will take you to more information. 

We may not be asked to write scriptures but we are asked to serve others, to be his hands and to journal what we do. We are asked to leave a record of the sacred things that happen in our lives.

Hymns
237-Do What Is Right
270- I'll go where You Want Me To Go

Children

197-Quickly I'll Obey

No comments:

Post a Comment