Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Testimony of Two Nations- 1 Nephi 19:4

1 Nephi 19:4
Testimony of Two Nations
What
 4 Wherefore, I, Nephi, did make a record upon the other plates, which gives an account, or which gives a greater account of the wars and contentions and destructions of my people. And this have I done, and commanded my people what they should do after I was gone; and that these plates should be handed down from one generation to another, or from one prophet to another, until further commandments of the Lord.

1- Nephi had two sets of plates
2-He recorded the wars and destruction on the first set.
3-As he tells in verse 3, the second set was for the commandments and the ministry and prophecies.
4-He would have these records handed down from one prophet to another after he was gone.

Why
A record was to be kept of the people of Lehi and all his descendants to testify of Christ so this record could be preserved to bring forth to us in the latter days so that we could know Christ, learn of Him and His teachings and ministry on this continent.

3 Nephi 27:25

25 For behold, out of the books which have been written, and which shall be written, shall this people be judged, for by them shall their works be known unto men.

1 Nephi 1:16

16 And now I, Nephi, do not make a full account of the things which my father hath written, for he hath written many things which he saw in visions and in dreams; and he also hath written many things which he prophesied and spake unto his children, of which I shall not make a full account.

Pattern
The pattern of keeping records by prophets to testify of Christ and the plan of Salvation began with Adam.
The first five books of the Old Testament were written by Moses. We must assume that he had records and knowledge of Adam and the creation from existing records he had at the time. Following Moses, Joshua and other prophets wrote.
The New Testament is written by apostles as they record the life and teachings of Jesus and subsequent happenings after His death by apostles.

3 Nephi 23:13

    13 And it came to pass that Jesus commanded that it should be written; therefore it was written according as he commanded.
  • 2 Nephi 29
  •  7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?
 8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.
 9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.
 10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.
 11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.
 12 For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it.
 13 And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.
 14 And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the house of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one. And I will show unto them that fight against my word and against my people, who are of the house of Israel, that I am God, and that I covenanted with Abraham that I would remember his seed forever.

Christ
The scriptures were written by prophets to testify of Christ.

Conference
4/05 Boyd K. Packer
The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ—Plain and Precious Things
Joseph Smith said, “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book” (Book of Mormon introduction; see also History of the Church, 4:461).
...When I first read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover, I read the promise that if I “would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if [the things I had read were] true; and if [I would] ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he [would] manifest the truth of it unto [me], by the power of the Holy Ghost” (Moro. 10:4). I tried to follow those instructions, as I understood them.
If I expected a glorious manifestation to come at once as an overpowering experience, it did not happen. Nevertheless, it felt good, and I began to believe.
The next verse has an even greater promise: “By the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things” (Moro. 10:5; emphasis added). I did not know how the Holy Ghost worked, even though the Book of Mormon explains it a number of times in a number of ways.
I studied and learned that “angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ.” It said, as well, that one is to “feast upon the words of Christ; [with the promise that] the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do” (2 Ne. 32:3).
And it says plainly that “if ye cannot understand … it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye knock” (2 Ne. 32:4).
I also read, “If ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do” (2 Ne. 32:5). I had already done that when I was confirmed a member of the Church by the “laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost” (A of F 1:4).
...The prophet Nephi also said that he had written “the things of my soul … for the learning and the profit of my children” (2 Ne. 4:15). I had read that before, and it did not mean all that much to me, either. But later when we had children, I understood that both Lehi and Nephi felt just as deeply about their children as we feel about our children and grandchildren.
I found these scriptures to be plain and precious. I wondered how young Joseph Smith could have such insights. The fact is I do not believe he had such penetrating insights. He did not have to have them. He just translated what was written on the 
From the Book of Mormon we learn about:
The plan of salvation or “the great plan of happiness” (Alma 42:8; see also Alma 42:5, 8, 12, 30).
The doctrine of Christ and the Atonement (see 2 Ne. 31:2–212 Ne. 32:1–63 Ne. 11:31–403 Ne. 27:13–21).
Why death is necessary (see 2 Ne. 9:4–6Mosiah 16:8–9Alma 12:25–27).
Life after death in the spirit world (see Alma 40:11–14).
The workings of the evil one (see 2 Ne. 2:27Alma 28:133 Ne. 2:2).

The order of the priesthood (see Mosiah 29:42Alma 4:20Alma 5:3, 44Alma 13:1–10).
Sacramental prayers (see Moro. 4:3Moro. 5:2).
A sure way to judge between good and evil (see Moro. 7:16).
How to retain a remission of your sins (see Mosiah 4:26).
Clear, prophetic warnings and many, many other things pertaining to the redemption of man and to our lives. All are parts of the fulness of the gospel (see D&C 20:9).
The Book of Mormon confirms the teachings of the Old Testament.  It confirms the teachings of the New Testament. It restores “many plain and precious things” (1 Ne. 13:28) lost or taken from them (see also 1 Ne. 13:20–421 Ne. 14:23). It is in truth another testament of Jesus Christ.
Apply
One thing is for sure and that is that we will not live on this earth forever. At some time we will all face death. And then what? Where are we going? Who will be there? What is the purpose of this life? Will life go on after this life? Will I see my family again? Do I have a Father and Mother in heaven? Is there a heaven or a hell? If so who goes where and why? Is love eternal?
For these reasons and to answer these questions I want to know all I can. I want to do all the good I can and by reading and studying these precious works I can feel the Savior's love and guidance in my life and find peace and trust in Him.
I am ever grateful for the scriptures and the knowledge and faith that they bring.
Hymns
65-Come All Ye Saints Who Dwell On Earth
Luke 9:23-24
 23 ¶And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
 24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it

Children
5-I Know My Father Lives



No comments:

Post a Comment